This month we want you to play teacher and share a favorite process or new experiment. Document your findings with at least one process photo. We can't wait to see your technique tutorials and new ideas! Remember to use stamps or stencils or both!
If you're anything like me the only difficulty you will have, will be in choosing a technique ! there are so many that I love, it was hard to narrow it down to just one. I've chosen 'Water Colour Stamping' and made this little vintage style pocket. This is how I did it.....
I started off with two pieces of watercolour paper, measuring 5 x 6 inches. One for the back and one for the front. I chose one of the flower stamps, from Tim Holtz's 'Flower Garden' set and stamped it several times with archival ink onto some low tack paper. I then cut these out and used them as 'masks' for my stamping. I think copy paper sprayed with re-positional adhesive would also work.
I stamped the flowers onto the water colour paper, with Antique Linen Distress Ink, using one of the f masks, so that the flowers look as if they are overlapping each other. I stamped three flowers and then started to 'watercolour' them.
I chose three shades of pink Distress Ink, Spun Sugar, Victorian Velvet and Picked Raspberry. I started by tapping the lightest colour, Spun Sugar onto my craft mat, spritzed it with water and then used a fine water brush to paint loosely inside the petals, leaving some white spaces.
I built up the depth of colour, by repeating the painting with each of the colours. I painted the stamens with Fossilized Amber and Carved Pumpkin DI. It's important to dry each layer before changing colour, so that the colours remain light and transparent. I then continued to stamp the next three flowers, using the same masking technique
I painted them in the same way, adding more depth to the areas where they overlap, with deeper colour and touches of Vintage Photo Distress Ink.
After completing the flowers, I selected a leaf stamp, from a different range of stamps. I followed the same procedure I used with the flowers, to make two separate leaf masks. I then stamped some leaves around the group of flowers, masking the flowers and leaves where necessary.
In this picture you can see two of the flower masks and one leaf mask. This is how it looked when I'd finished stamping all of the leaves......
I then painted the leaves, with Crushed Olive and Peeled Paint Distress Ink, once again tapping the ink pads onto my craft mat and spritzing with water, before applying with a water brush.
Once all of the painting was done, I used a heat gun to enure that the paint was completely dry. I then used a blending tool, with Antique Linen Distress ink, and lightly, blended the ink over the the whole surface, deepening on the edges of the paper. I then used one of my favourite 'rust spot' stamps, from Tim Holtz's 'Bitty Grunge' set with Vintage Photo Distress Ink, to add a few random splots here and there. This is quite possibly my most inked stamp. When used with Vintage Photo Distress Ink, it adds an instant vintage look.
Stamps and Stencils blog, where you'll find Autumn's wonderful project as well as some fantastic inspiration from the rest of the design Team. See you there! x
I'm also playing along with the Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge, where the theme is 'Splatter it'.